Saturday 28 November 2015

                                               The Importance Of Education

                      Equipping Myself In Knowing Of Tools I Will Use In Production

(Note: If you see any massive gaps in my blog this means there was a video there and it hasn't loaded on your browser, if this happens then please try reopening the blog in another browser option (Internet Explorer, Fire Fox or other).


This week has been all about equipping myself with knowledge of the tools I will need to use in order to produce my film. These tools would include Premiere Pro for editing and the camera (Techniques)(although not decided which type of camera I will use yet).


I have been doing workshops with Adrian Butterworth where we have been using Premiere Pro and have been working closely with him and had received great positive feedback from him in the workshop for my ideas of how to Photoshop out objects and my insights on what areas of a picture I should be aware of when performing colour correction.


I feel that colour correction is important as not every shot is going to originally look decent and presentable. Things can go wrong with the shot like it could be very bright on the day when you are trying to create a dark and more dull atmosphere so therefore I would film the scene and then colour tone it down and maybe add rain and mild thunder sound effects to the scene to make the audience feel the intended impression of what the scene was meant to be like.


We have done some masking and replacing with imported photo versions of the scene from photo shop, colour tone correcting, identifying colour faults and general editing, cutting, copy and pasting whilst familiarizing myself with the shortcuts such as I and O for setting left and right locators for selecting a certain piece of the footage for editing. I have been looking into this further by studying a YouTube tutorial for Premiere Pro colour correcting and colour grading which can be found at the end of this post in the reference section.


Steven Spielberg is a remarkable director as far as the world of cinema is concerned and I have been working on understanding his vision of how he sees stories and films and how he draws deep emotions into the hearts of his audiences. This source shows the studies of Spielberg I have been investing in doing my studies towards producing my film.


Spielberg enjoys moving the camera and often moves it as the composer plays the music or a choreographer arranges a dance. Although he may have actors deliver dialogue he also likes to show and explain things with a visual representation for the audience. Steven Spielberg's camera use does not so much observe the scene but rather it interacts with and gather its details.


I feel that I will start deciding on which objects I will use to show and tell my story visually. I may use the character isolated with only a care free animal around which he can use to show his affection to and express his loneliness to show that no one understands him or is on his side anymore to the point where his only temporary companionship comes from an animal.

I am writing my script the way that even if the audio is turned off, the audience will be still able to understand what is going on in the story. This technique was used by Charlie Chaplin to great extent in his movies as most of the story was told through the use of mime acting. I have included a scene which is typical of the style of Charlie Chaplin's mime story telling at the end of this post in the references.


Harvard References

Steven Spielberg's techniques and themes, 2012, 'Steven Benedict, [Video File], [Online], Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCBYFHRHU0 [Accessed on 25,11,2015] 



Premiere pro tutorials - COLOR CORRECTING and COLOR GRADING - Part 1, 2012, 'Tara arts movie', [Video File], [Online], Available from: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WozBxv9RnY [Accessed on 25,11,2015]





Charlie Chaplin - The Lion's Cage, 2011, 'JoseMonkeys', [Video File], [Online], Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjEyBKSfJQ [Accessed 25,11,2015] 



No comments:

Post a Comment